MAC Jobs Hub
City of Birmingham — Assistant City Manager
Under the general direction of the City Manager, the Assistant City Manager provides assistance and support to the City Manager, including analyzing and implementing policies, programs and procedures; serving as staff liaison for a variety of boards and commissions; leading assigned municipal functions, services and activities while working closely with the City Manager; responding to and resolving public inquiries and complaints; and providing responsible staff assistance to the City Manager, City Commission and department heads.
- Acts on behalf of the City Manager to relieve the Manager of administrative and operational matters
- May represent the Manager in intergovernmental meetings and community activities.
- Duties are carried out with considerable independence and latitude,e with the Manager being consulted on unusual situations
- MS, MA, MPA or MBA in management or a closely related field
- Minimum of 7 -to10 years of progressively more responsible municipal management experience, with at least 5 years of responsible experience as a municipal department director (experience as an Assistant City Manager preferred)
- Knowledge of various municipal government functions including public safety, financial management, community development, engineering, municipal parking, public works, economic development, civic engagement, etc.
- Ability to deal with difficult situations; analyze complex situations, factors and information; and devise logical and sufficient plans and strategies
- Ability to demonstrate integrity, ingenuity, inventiveness and independent judgment in the performance of duties
- Ability to work evening and weekend hours as City activities require
Salary: $88,263 to $112,903
How to apply:
Submit professional profile and employment application to the Human Resources Department. Employment applications are available online at www.bhamgov.org/jobs or in the City of Birmingham Human Resources Department, located at 151 Martin, Birmingham, MI 48009. The Human Resources Department is open Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
Deadline: Open until filled; first applicant review Aug. 14, 2017
Posted: July 24, 2017
Berrien County ― Animal Control Director
Under the supervision of the County Administrator, the Director is responsible for planning and developing animal control operations in accordance with established policies and regulations; maintains responsibility for enforcement of state regulations and county ordinances governing animals and livestock in the county; supervises reporting of animal bites to the Health Department for rabies control follow-up; is accountable for the distribution, sale and revenue received for dog licenses sold in the county; has primary responsibility for managing and administering the county's animal shelter; ensures adherence to established safety procedures and monitors work environment and use of safety equipment; performs employee evaluations; serves as the county's animal shelter director and is assigned responsibility for the operations of the pound areas of the shelter; and performs related tasks as directed by the County Administrator.
- Bachelor's degree with a major in criminal justice, business administration or animal care-related field
- Minimum of three years of experience in animal control or law enforcement, which includes a minimum of six months supervisory experience (MCOLES certification desired)
- OR associate's degree with emphasis on criminal justice, business administration or an animal care-related field and a minimum of five years of experience in animal control or law enforcement, which includes six months of supervisory experience (MCOLES certification desired)
- No felony convictions
- Must pass physical and medical examinations and pass drug and alcohol tests and criminal and civil record checks
- Random and for cause drug and alcohol tests may be required
- Unless waived by the County, a valid permit from the Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA) for a license to perform animal euthanasia and sedation per the Board of Pharmacy – Animal Euthanasia and Sedation Rules
- A valid Restricted Wildlife Damage and Nuisance Control Permit issued to the Department by the MDNR pursuant to Part 401 of 1994 PA 451, and assure the Department's compliance with The Wildlife Conservation Order sections 5.52-5.54
Berrien County Animal Control is a 24-hour facility, seven days a week with no holidays, so the director must have the ability and willingness to be available at any time as required by the situation.
Salary: $51,962 to $69,634
How to apply:
Applicants should go to www.berriencounty.org and follow the links to job postings. Berrien County is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Deadline: Aug. 30, 2017
Posted: July 28, 2017
How to post a job
- Summary of position
- List of required and preferred qualifications
- Salary range and other benefits
- Details on how to apply
- Deadline to apply
MAC charges $75 for a 30-day posting, which comes with promotion via our social media channels. Once an ad is posted, MAC will send an invoice for the fee.
Careers in Government
Intern in Michigan