County Commissioner Academy
County Commissioner Academy is a new initiative to enhance professional development for commissioners via a series of events and workshops focused on the day-to-day responsibilities of a Michigan county commissioner.
In true “if-it-ain’t-broke-don’t-fix-it” fashion, the academy integrates the numerous learning opportunities MAC has offered for years into a coherent “curriculum” for commissioners. Budgeting. Taxes. Board procedures. Managing debt. Liabilities. Public access laws. For every facet of a commissioner’s job – and we all know how plentiful those are – there will be “classes.”
CCA operates on a two-year sequence, starting after an election. Participants earn continuing education “hours” by attending designated events and workshops. “Certification” is offered at two different levels: “Certified” is reached at 10 hours over a two-year cycle, while “Advanced” is reached with 20 hours over a four-year period. “Hours” will not be limited to MAC events. Commissioners can earn credits via attendance at MSUE-sponsored events or even sessions hosted by the Treasury Department or elsewhere.
- MSUE Budget Webinar (fall 2020)
- Virtual Annual Conference: Workshop on “Cybersecurity: Threats, Prevention and Preparation”
- Camp Counties Summer Webinar on “Planning and Winning Millage Elections in a COVID World”
- Virtual Legislative Conference: Workshop on “Economic Development and Tax Base Growth Strategies”
- Virtual Legislative Conference: Workshop for Board Chairs/Vice Chairs on “Leading Your Board Toward Extraordinary Governance”
- Legislative Conference: Workshop on “Running a Better Meeting”
- Regional Summits: Session on “Planning a Capital Improvement Program”
- Annual Conference: Workshop on “Open Meetings Act”
- New Commissioner School sites
- New Commissioner School (Nov.-Dec. of even-numbered years) = 5 Hours
- One-hour workshop at a MAC conference or Regional Summit = 1 Hour
- Three-hour standalone MSUE event (fall of odd-numbered years) = 3 Hours
For more information about CCA, contact MAC Communications Director Derek Melot at email@example.com or 517-372-5374.
MAC appreciates the partnership of MSU Extension in developing and operating the academy.