The day after the primary, the MIRS News Service in Lansing was reporting that 80 percent of new local tax proposals passed, and 99 percent of requests that were renewals were approved.
Among the notable county results on new millages reported by MIRS:
- Road levies were approved in Alcona, Arenac, Ionia, Keweenaw and St. Joseph counties.
- Correction: Cheboygan County also approved its road levy, 2,892 to 2,197.
- Emergency services levies were approved in Alger, Alpena, Cass, Iosco, Mason, Midland, Oceana, Osceola, Oscoda and Van Buren counties.
- Senior services millages were approved in Allegan, Kent, Kalkaska, Missaukee, Ogemaw, Presque Isle and Shiawassee counties.
Projected revenues for FY 2014 – 2015 are anticipated to be $253.2 million less revenue than originally anticipated. This projection is what the legislature and administration will use to determine target numbers for the various budgets for the coming year. As most of you are aware, the governor, along with the House and Senate have recommended full funding for county revenue sharing. It is critical that you contact your representative and senators and ask them to keep full funding for counties when determining appropriation line items for the upcoming budget. Attached are talking points for your use. Please contact MAC is you have any questions and if you are successful in contacting your legislators.
Revenue Sharing TP.FY15 [pdf]You can also find these on the MAC website: micounties.org
- Pick up a copy of your local newspaper or go to your local newspaper’s website and look for the “Opinion” or “Op-Ed” section, where letters are typically printed.
- Look for other letters to the editor – typically, there will be an email address (in the print edition) or a link to an online form (on a newspaper website) to submit a letter to the editor. Make sure to look for any special guidelines the newspaper you’re submitting to might have (e.g. a special word count).
- If you have any questions, call your local newspaper and ask for the opinion editor – or contact the campaign communications team at Truscott Rossman at firstname.lastname@example.org.